1) The ability to maintain a constant internal environment is
2) Impulses are received by nerve cells through
any process that is long enough to reach the receptor.
the intervention of the neuroglia.
3) Tissues come together to form
4) Nucleic acids are built from
5) The two types of nucleic acids are
RNA and proteins.
DNA and RNA.
nucleotides and DNA
DNA and proteins.
6) Every living organism must have
a nucleoid region.
at least one cell.
a cell wall.
7) Which of the following is MOST accurate regarding cells?
All cells divide by meiosis.
Cells arise through spontaneous generation.
All cells have a nucleus.
All living organisms are made up of one or more cells.
8) Which three things do all living cells have in common?
cytoplasm, a cell wall, and lysosomes
a nucleus, ribosomes, and a cell membrane
a nucleus, cytoplasm, and a cell wall
a plasma membrane, DNA, and cytoplasm
9) The word prokaryotic means
before the nucleus.
having many nuclei.
having a nucleus with no DNA.
having a membrane-bound nucleus.
10) The word eukaryotic means
having no nucleus.
before the nucleus.
having a true nucleus.
having two nuclei.
11) Most of the molecules in cell membranes are
12) These are the primary cellular sites for the assembly of proteins.
13) Which organelle is the sorting and shipping center of proteins for export from the cell or insertion into the cell membrane.
14) These organelles are the powerhouse of the cell and have enzymes that generate ATP.
15) These organelles contain enzymes that digest various substances.
16) What organelle/structure stores the DNA in the cell?
17) The proteins of the cell membrane can function as
channels through the membrane.
transporters that move substances across the membrane.
all of these.
18) Selective permeability of the cell membrane is controlled by the plasma membrane which is composed of
lipids and proteins.
19) Chromatin describes
DNA and RNA.
DNA and associated proteins.
20) The smooth endoplasmic reticulum stores and releases calcium ions in which organ?
21) Scientists believe that mitochondria may have evolved from bacteria because
mitochondria have their own DNA.
they both have cristae membranes.
both are surrounded by a cell wall.
the shapes and sizes are exactly the same.
22) The tissue that lines internal surfaces of the body is
23) Tears, milk, sweat, and oil are secreted by glands made of what tissue?
24) Collagen fibers are found in high concentrations in which tissue?
25) Muscle that is NOT striped and is involuntary is
26)The endocrine system functions in
hormonal control of body functioning.
protection against disease.
27)The maintenance of the volume and composition of body fluids is the direct responsibility of which system?
28)When a cell undergoes mitosis,
the daughter cells have identical genes, and these genes are identical to those of the “parent” cells that produced them.
the amount of cytoplasm in the “parent” cell and in each daughter cell is equal.
there is an exact duplication and division of all of the organelles between daughter cells.
the daughter cells have identical genes.
29) In mitosis, if a “parent” cell has 16 chromosomes, each daughter cell will have how many chromosomes?
30) The chromosome number in human body cells is