1) What is the common name for the taste receptor cells?
2) In 1996, Lindemann proposed a fifth primary receptor that detects which type of taste?
3) _____ refers to a rapid series of still pictures that seem to be in motion.
The phi phenomenon
The autokinetic effect
The apparent distance hypothesis
4) Which of the following is TRUE about pictorial depth cues?
They require visual cues from both eyes.
They are often referred to as binocular cues.
They require visual cues from only one eye.
Usually they are not needed for perceiving depth in the world.
5) Research suggests that perception may be influenced by all of the following EXCEPT:
misinterpretation of perceptual cues.
if someone is right-brained versus left-brained.
6) The use of preexisting knowledge to organize individual features into a unified whole is known as:
7) In Gestalt theories, the principle of closure refers to the tendency to:
complete incomplete figures.
perceive objects as existing on a background.
perceive events happening close together as related.
perceive similar objects as belonging together.
8) Which of the following is TRUE about depth perception?
It is the ability to see in two dimensions.
It helps one to judge how far away objects are.
It is almost always present in people who were blind from birth and later had their sight restored.
It does not develop until the toddler years.
9) The three aspects to the perception of light are brightness, color, and:
10) Rods are visual sensory receptors responsible for:
noncolor sensitivity to low light.
focusing images on the retina.
11) A highly saturated red color would contain ________ wavelengths.
a mixture of different
more red than blue
12) What are the three primary colors of light?
red, blue, green
red, yellow, blue
yellow, green, blue
red, yellow, green
13) Which of the following is TRUE about color blindness?
The most common type is called monochrome color blindness.
When it involves one set of cones, it is an inherited recessive trait.
It is more prevalent among females than males.
It is caused by defective cones in the iris of the eye.
14) Where is the retina located?
in the aqueous humor
at the back of the eye
at the front of the eye
in the brain
15) Terry stepped on a nail while walking around barefoot in her yard one week ago. The spot where the skin was punctured still hurts, reminding her to take it easy on her foot. The soreness Terry is experiencing is known as ________ pain.
16) Which of the following statements best explains how the sense of taste works?
Molecules of taste are absorbed through receptors on the roof of the mouth and transmitted to the stomach.
Olfactory bulbs absorb molecules of taste and then send signals to the brain.
Molecules of food fit into receptors on taste buds, and neural signals are fired to the brain.
Molecules of taste are absorbed into the saliva and circulated throughout the blood until they reach the brain.
17) Which mammals have the ability to hear up to 200,000 Hz?
18) People who have difficulty with their hearing are said to be either totally or partially:
19) Nerve hearing impairment can be helped with the use of:
ordinary hearing aids.
20) ________ can inhibit the transmission of pain signals in the brain.
21) According to gate-control theory:
pain signals must pass through a “gate” located in the brain.
the activity of the spinal gate can be opened by nonpain signals.
a structure in the spinal cord is closed when pain signals enter the spinal cord.
when the spinal gates open farther, there is a greater experience of pain.
22) Motion sickness can be explained by:
an imbalance in the kinesthetic senses.
a type of allergic reaction.
conflict between visual input and other sensory input.
23) The tendency of the brain to stop attending to constant, unchanging information is known as:
24) The term ______ refers to stimuli that are below the level of conscious awareness.
just noticeable difference
25) The ________ is the lowest level of stimulation that a person can consciously detect 50 percent of the time the stimulation is present.
minimal sensory threshold
just noticeable difference